Friday, June 20, 2014

#amwriting #Edits, edits, and more edits...When do you say "Whoa!"

Sometimes it's time to close the file, and if you can't do that then close the laptop. Walk away. Come back when you've had time to think through your story. You know the spot. The one you're agonizing over. The one you know you need to rewrite, but it's just not clear in your head. Go get it smoothed out in your mind, let it percolate for a while, then head back to the task at hand.

Just as importantly is knowing when to stop. You can change out words from your thesaurus all day long and if the action isn't right, and the conflict isn't there, switching from "know" to "discover" isn't going to make a difference.

If your opening is slow. Go back and fix it. Readers need to care in the first few pages if you're going to keep the ADD crowd happy. Remember we get 10 minutes of (thirty second) commercials now for every five minutes of programming. It's no wonder we can't stay on track for more than a few minutes at a time. I started reading again to avoid TV programs I didn't get a chance to get into before we were on to something else.

At some point, you have to let it go. It's like sending the baby birds out of the nest. You hope it flies.

My first romance without erotic elements Witch's Tattoo will be coming out at The Wild Rose Press in September or October in their Halloween Anthology. I struggle with sexual conflict because I'm usually an instant gratification kind of girl. You usually get a little satisfied in most of my books, right up front and then all the way through. LOL No really, it's the truth. So holding back almost killed me. Sexual frustration ruled for several weeks and whew! I'm relieved that's over.

Another problem was turning the sex act into an emotional act. Instead of sexual details (an instruction manual for various positions and practices) I entered the character's head and experienced the scene as a series of emotions. I loved it.

Next time when I have more than 15000 words to work with, I'll try combing the two methods. Okay I'm kidding. I've already done that in a couple of my books. You tell me which ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment