Juli D. Revezzo: Writing love scenes, from a once "closet romance writer's" perspective

Author Juli D. Revezzo is visiting today and sharing not one but two excerpts from her new release Passion's Sacred Dance. Let's give Juli a great big welcome!


Writing love scenes, from a once “closet romance writer's" perspective...
by Juli D. Revezzo

JDR: Thank you, Eliza for inviting me here today!

EM: You're so welcome. Juli I loved this book. The way you blended fantasy and past life experiences into a contemporary romance was fascinating!

JDR: Ask any romance reader and you’ll hear the thing they look forward to most in a romance novel is the budding love between the hero and heroine. The (excuse the pun) climax of this romance is usually the all-important love scene, so much so that sometimes the end of the book is anticlimactic.  Some writers write them so poorly they might as well just have left them out. Some do it so well, they overtake the story and border—if not completely cross into—erotic romance, or downright erotica.

The writing of the scenes is an art and one—at least since the release of Fifty Shades of Grey—every budding romance author aspires to and to make them seem flawless, gaining many a headache in the process.

But you know what? They are damned hard to write. For me, I’ve always included a love thread in every attempt I’ve made at a novel, but I never leaned so heavily on those scenes as I learned to do during the writing of my newest novel, PASSION’S SACRED DANCE. The genres I grew up reading and never relied heavily on open door sex as a plot point.  Yes, some of my favorites did. Michael Moorcock’s Elric always seems to be chasing some skirt, and Melanie Rawn certainly doesn’t shy from the subject in her novels. But still there’s no time for noggie when you’re facing angry, power-hungry wizards or hungry, man-eating dragons, or battle for that matter, now is there?

So when I thought about joining the Romance Writers of America I felt out of place, to be honest. Me? I write for fans of Melanie Rawn and Michael Moorcock (although, Michael’s characters *swoons*…). Still, I was up for a little literary adventure and gave it a try. Manuscript after manuscript, my characters slipped the door open a little more. And seemed to like it. *faints*

Finally, when I got down to writing the love scenes for what became PASSION’S SACRED DANCE, I decided if the authors I’d read and enjoyed recently (C.L. Wilson, Eliza March, and Tammy Kane) could pull it off, so could I. Every attempt I made, my bold factor kept slipping up notch by notch, until I opened the door the entire way until, heck, my Aaron didn’t feel at all uncomfortable walking around naked in front of god and everyone! Once I let them, my characters said, “It’s about bloody damned time. This is fun!”

Silly characters (or I guess, silly writer). Oh, I can argue with you until I’m blue in the face as to why there are so  many other bits and pieces that hold a fantasy novel and world together (as my critique partner knows); there are maniacal wizards, valiant warriors, and hungry beasts to quell, aren’t there? But I suppose I got it right, or we wouldn’t be standing here talking about this book, now would we?

Now about those naked warriors parading around…. ;)


EM: Would you like to read more about PASSION’S SACRED DANCE?

Passion’s Sacred Dance

Battling mounting debt, Stacy Macken is determined not to lose her historic art gallery. When Aaron Fielding appears and offers to help, she fights to keep the attraction sizzling between them from clouding her judgment. He may be her savior in disguise--but can she trust him?

Aaron intrigues her with tales of the Tuatha dé Danann, sworn warriors who protect humanity from the monsters seeking their destruction. If Aaron can prove what he claims, she would give up anything to help--even the gallery he claims is sacred ground. But with her property set to stage the next epic battle, she needs answers. An old family diary will confirm the ancient legend is true, if only they can find it in time.

If the battle is lost, the enemy will take control of Earth for the next five hundred years. Stacy and Aaron's budding love might only complicate things.

 Excerpt #1

Cold shot through her. She needed warmth— something the artificial heater wouldn’t give. She took his hand in hers.
Aaron jumped but soon relaxed, his fingers entwining with hers.
After a moment, the despair dissipated, replaced with something else—intrigue, the desire to touch him, the craving to sample his mouth.
“I have a better idea than meeting this Mr. McDunn. How about at the next light, you pull over or turn around or something?”
“Stacy.”
“Okay, if you don’t want to then—”
“I didn’t say that.”
He found a spot at the side of the road and leaned in to kiss her. Savoring the soft pliancy of his lips and the sweet mint taste she detected, she slipped her tongue between his lips. Her fingers moved up to his broad shoulders, and as his arms tightened around her, pulling her closer, she welcomed the feeling of his heart thudding in his chest, reverberating through hers. His
left hand moved down her back to her waist as his right arm held her tightly around the shoulders.
He smelled wonderful, like fresh sweet seas and crisp wind.
Her fingers tested the hem of his scratchy wool sweater and beneath, caressing the hard, warm surface of his lower back.
His laugh sounded low in his throat, curling her toes.
“Ticklish?” She dove back into the kiss, deciding she liked it. Loved it, actually.
Too soon, Aaron broke the kiss and pushed her gently away. “Stacy.”

Excerpt #2

Can you love a man without knowing who or what he is? Can there be love without trust? She wondered.
Been there, done that. Don’t want to do it again.
Good looks, bad temper. She had scars on her body to prove some handsome men couldn’t be trusted. She mentally shook her head to erase the memories flooding back and yet absently scrubbed her left foot against the old wound marring her right calf. “I’ve had some restless nights lately,” she said.
“I understand. Been there myself.” He tapped his temple. “Battles tend to stick, now and then.”
“Yeah. You should see some of the ones I’ve seen.”
Aaron’s brow rose.
She sniffed, but didn’t say more. “Are you ready to explain what that was about, yesterday?”
“I’m not sure to what you’re referring.”
How to put this? “The discussion you had with the lawyer?”
“Actually,” he said, “I rather hoped we could forget that nonsense ever happened.”
“Like I wish I could forget Janeus and Miller are offering for my place.” She waved a hand around the room. “I’m sorry for yelling at you, yesterday. Can you forgive me?”
“Forgive you for what?” Aaron wrapped his empty arm around her shoulders.
She suddenly couldn’t breathe steadily or remember where they were. She blinked and licked her lips, hoping for a kiss. Someone cleared a throat and Aaron pulled away. Stacy glanced at the student watching them.
“Come on,” Aaron said and tugged her toward the stairs. Did she see the student smile?
“Let’s see what your archivist might’ve found,” he urged.
Downstairs, Stacy chose a reading table and set her purse down. She cocked her head, reading the title of Aaron’s book as he set it beside her purse.
“Self-Mastery?” she read. “Don’t you know all about that?”
“It’s an ongoing struggle, no matter how advanced you are.”
“No matter how old?” she teased.
“Or how youthful.” He spun the book so she could get a better look. “Would you like to read it?”


EM: Would you? ;) If so, PASSION’S SACRE DANCE is available for Kindle from Amazon and coming soon to other venues. 

JDR: I hope you’ll check it out and enjoy the story I had to tell! Thanks again, Eliza, for hosting me!

EM: You are entirely welcome! Thanks for sharing!

About Author, Juli D. Revezzo:

Juli D. Revezzo has long been in love with writing, a love built by devouring everything from the Arthurian legends, to the works of Michael Moorcock, and the classics and has a soft spot for classic the “Goths” of the 19th century. Her short fiction has been published in Dark Things II: Cat Crimes, The Scribing Ibis, Eternal Haunted Summer, Twisted Dreams Magazine and Luna Station Quarterly. She also has an article and book review or two out there. But her heart lies in the storytelling. She is a member of Independent Authors Network and Magic Appreciation Tour. Passion’s Sacred Dance is her first romance novel.

You can find out more about her at her homepage: http://julidrevezzo.com/

On twitter: @julidrevezzo

Comments

Post a Comment

I hope you benefit from my blog and thank you for commenting...