No! Really, this isn't a review of DARK WITCH by Nora Roberts

Suspend disbelief and enter
a world full of possibilities
Conquer the Highland Beast is the next book I will be releasing in the HEARTS OF DARKNESS series. I think I'll call it a collection because although the stories are related and the books are being released in the order the reader will appreciate, They could all be stand alone stories with a beginning, middle, and conclusion to the main character's plight.

That being said...it's been a long time, too long a time, since I've read a paranormal book by NORA ROBERTS. I've forgotten I shouldn't start one when I wake up at night and just want to go back to sleep because all night it becomes...just one more page...

Last night, I started Dark Witch and had to force myself to put it down when my iPad battery said 2%. Along with her compelling ability to tell a good tale, Ms. Roberts does the most important thing an author can do...she makes the reader invest in the characters right from the first page...and believe it or not, that was in the prologue. I knew I was going to be dealing with different characters, but I cared about them before I knew them, just as a mother cares about her unborn child. I knew the characters were going to face danger and obstacles introduced in the prologue and then when I met them, I had to find out how it all affected them.

So I'm sort of reviewing a book I haven't finished--why? Because as an author, these abilities are important to remember when writing your books. I like to remind myself of things I find that are well done in other books. The other enjoyable thing I recalled about Nora's pace and rhythm was how poetic she can be in description and prose. I enjoy the way she uses what I call the "triple hit," three words in a series to describe, to enhance, to entice. Like that. GRIN

I'm well into the book and the reason I'm not reading it now is I'm savoring each moment I get with it, and I'll have to wait for the next one. I have to say the characters are familiar but that's good because I love her character prototypes. the hero in this one is awesome, but I can see the upcoming ones will drag me into their stories as well. And as I get drawn in deeper, I will love each hero in each story. Because like I do in my own writing, I find it's more fun to "love the one you're with."

I was sorry to read some of the reviews. What some didn't like, is probably what I like most. I liked the return to Ireland, to magic, to similar plots and characters she's written before. I even disregarded the head hopping. How many versions of Cinderella or Little Red Riding Hood have been written? People still enjoy them. I enjoy Christine Feehan and Sherrilyn Kenyon because I know what I want to read, and they deliver. The stories are the same, but different. That's what I want when I reach for one of their books. Charlain Harris's Sooky Stackhouse novels=the same but different.

In this case. Ms. Roberts, mixed it up, added a little American witch to an Irish legend and gave us a new story, but with my favorite elements from her other books. I'm not disappointed to snuggle into a familiar, good old magical, Nora Roberts' tale.

Now I feel rejuvenated and inspired to add the compelling details to my final round of edits on Conquer the Highland Beast. And if you haven't read DEFEAT THE DARKNESS yet, I have a special starting November 27th. The book will be part of the Amazon Kindle Countdown Deals. On the 27th only it will be on sale for $.99 and creep back up to the regular price of $3.99 by December 4th. The earlier you buy, the better the DEAL. That gives you time to meet some of the characters you'll be reading about in the upcoming books. This is a great opportunity to snag the first book up at a great price.

Comments