Blast from the Past

I'm watching Katie Couric interview the writer, Diane English and the star, Candice Bergen along with the cast of Murphy Brown.The one person missing is Robert Pastorelli, the actor who played Eldon the painter, my all-time favorite. Although he passed away of a drug overdose, I'm glad they bothered to recognize his contribution to the program.

Strangely, at the time, I often felt like their writers were looking over my shoulder for script ideas. I had a painter named Frank who knew more about what was going on in  my home with the kids and nanny than I did. When I got home from work, he'd be perched on his ladder outside and fill me in on all the day's events before I walked through the front door.

What does this have to do with writing? ...everything. As the creator, Diane English said, she visualized the entire show, characters and main situation while in her car stuck in traffic. She walked straight inside her office and wrote the entire first script.

It's amazing how that happens sometimes. The muse whispers, you listen, and take notes. I think the muse is whispering all the time, but sometimes we don't listen carefully enough. Meditative moments or the few moments before I come fully awake  are my most creative times. I practice allowing those moments to flourish. When they come, I ask "what if? and then what?" before I assume I'm done imagining.

I'm going to enjoy revisiting these characters and situation on screen. Encore Classics is now showing commercial free episodes of the programs. Good to know!


  • Murphy Brown is an American situation comedy which aired on CBS from 
  • November 14, 1988, to May 18, 1998, for a total of 247 episodes. 





  • First episodeNovember 14, 1988


  • Final episodeMay 18, 1998
  • Comments