Last day to outline your story before #NaNoWriMo

#NaNoWriMo - Are you writing?

While I edit the most recent book in the HEARTS OF DARKNESS series, [Damn the Darkness] I'll be writing something very different. So I'm doing my best to at least meet the 50K mark for NaNoWriMo to get me started for next year. Such a new project and in a new genre [new adult/futuristic/sci-fi/politico/distopian] for me will be a challenge.

If you're interested in following my progress I've set up a separate BLOG for the new series named  futureorg.gov   But the first book is as yet untitled. I have a few ideas but until the story is more fleshed out, I'm holding back.

So what will I do today? I'm going to take my ideas and sit down and outline my story according to several writing coaches I've recently been following. Larry Brooks, Michael Hague, and Donald Maass top my list of mentors. Let's see if having a plan will help me write faster and more efficiently.

I am so truly excited about my CONCEPT and my PREMISE, but a story has a PLOT about something happening to someone or CHARACTERS. In order for the story to be INTERESTING, it also must have CONFLICT and CHARACTERS the reader will care about--one way or the other/love 'em or hate 'em, and they must have GOALS and  MOTIVATIONS. The HERO must show a growth arc but the ANTAGONIST can be anything from a person to a storm or even an ideology.

I may have discovered my ANTAGONIST in the form of an ideology but I'd like to put a face on the antagonist. It's fine to hate ideas, but it's fun to hate a person. There's always that retribution possibility thingy going on in your head. Isn't there?

For all my writing buddies and readers Happy Halloween or NaNoWriMo Eve.
Tomorrow the pressure begins.  ~~ Eliza


Comments